Saturday, April 01, 2006

Public Service Announcement


We found them! Steel Cut Oats...few months back, Alton Brown was making real oatmeal(he claims he wouldn't feed instant oats to his horse) and being an oatmeal fan, I had to try real oatmeal. I had my sisters searching and I was searching and to no avail...no steel cut oats. On Wednesday, I found them! They just started to carry them at Redner's...gotta believe my Dad put in a special order for me. I was very excited...this morning I am cooking some and I will let you know how they taste...(be back in a few minutes)

I have tried twice to make these oats and both times they have spilled over in the microwave...I have a history of bad performance with cream of wheat and oatmeal in the microwave and for that matter on the stove top so I give up for now. I have learned and so has Dave(to his disdain) that oatmeal and cream of wheat is harder to clean up than any other substance and sticks things together better than mortar. Have I come up with a new building material? Maybe so. Stay tuned for the review.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love...love..love that you are doing this...what a great outlet for your creative and constantly "in motion" mind...as you know my inability to put down what I really feel in writing completely bothers me...but I think you know what I mean...love ya~J

Sooz said...

Don't lose the faith on the OATMEAL! TRUST ME!! THE STEEL OATS ARE SO WORTH IT!! (next try the ones in the tin...IRISH OATS I think? but not in the micro...take the time to do it stovetop...so worth it!) try try again! you'll like it!