her Mom and I were laughing and just caught up in all the positive energy flowing from the sea of people---we were yelling to Jess-"We love you. Your my HERO! You Rock" and she gave us her signature, "I'm nervous as he double hockey sticks here but kinda likin' it" pose.
And she was off- just like that with her Dad at her side ready to ROCK the race. Her Dad signed up to walk the race--that is what I am doing next year- and maybe running some of it too.
Mayor Nutter was there to wave to the runners as they went past the start line. He is short in person and very charasmatic.
And here is the first runners to pass the 4.6 mile point---they were running a four minute, ten second mile at this point...They were expected to finish the entire race in just over an hour. One of the fascinating parts of the race was watching the waves of people run by...the first to pass were athletically honed to be runners-so slim- such long, thin, muscles...amazing to see and as the time passed people began to look more and more like the everyday Joe you would see in the supermarket.
And here is this Chicken Dude...he ran the entire race in the chicken suit--not sure who he was running for but I heard the annoucer say he was 23. He came across the finish in about an hour and 50 minutes. CRAZY!
Here is Jess when she crossed the 4.6 mile point. We were wooting and cheering and screaming at the top of our lungs- after searching and searching for her to pass it was euphoric to see her run by and she looked AWESOME.
Here's Jessie's son, Joey---he and I had a blast watching the race. We took a lot of pictures of each other making funny faces and we walked around and talked and just had an all around great time.
And here is Jessie's other son, Owen. He is the reason Jess was running for the NF team. Owen has Neurofibromatosis and he is a little, wonderful angel.
There's the finish line in the background- there were swarms and swarms of people. Even after waiting two hours since the start- the energy in the air was just palpable. Am I using that word right? Not sure, but it sounds good.
And here she is...rounding the bend to the finish with a gigundous smile on her face...doesn't she look stupendous like maybe she has run one mile and might go for some more---- I WAS SO PROUD.
2 comments:
WOW. You can feel the energy in the pics. What a wonderful person Jess is. You feel so helpless when you watch you child go through chemo. She did something positive to help. That's fabulous beyond words. Love your story. It gives me goose bumps!!
Major kudos to Jess! I have to believe it meant the World to her to have you share in this moment.
You've captured the moment so well. I'm crying.... not sad tears, but happy tears.
What an inspiration to all! :)
Post a Comment