robby sat in delight through the first five chapters- since he was a baby he became so calm and content as I read to him and still to this day, it relaxes him instantly. the text is almost lyrical and very enjoyable to read aloud. but after five chapters, we had to move along and do something else. however, at this point, i was intrigued about this little rabbit.and from there, the story became very beautiful. i will be sure to read the rest to both katie and robby but much of it will not have the same effect on them as it will on an adult reading it.
So please- go to your library and get this book. it is touching and sweet and just what a book should be.
here is a quote from the book which is placed after the dedication page:
The heart breaks and breaks
and lives by breaking.
It is necessary to go through dark and deeper dark
and not to turn.
--from "The testing-Tree," by Stanley Kunitz
***as an aside from this post but related to Aunt Carol and Uncle Gerry. We read from Katie's Christmas treasury each night. She lovingly refers to it as her treasure. She looks through the pages during the day and carries it around the house. she and i could not be more thrilled. thank you.
4 comments:
I am thrilled that the kids love the books. Amanda gets all the credit for Robby's. Your post has made a very special day already, even more special!! Love ya.
i am definitely going to check out this book. maddie loves to read and it's getting harder to find books that have any meaning in them at all but are interesting to an 8 year old.
maybe i'll head to the library this afternoon. (:
Hmm, I want to read it but don't have a kid to buy it for! Maybe I will go to Borders and read it while I drink a coffee! :)
oh I have CHILLS reading that excerpt!! I must get this book! (reminds me of the quote "The heart was made to be broken-- Open." but I have no idea where I heard it....gotta google that!) Love you! cannot wait for our playdate!!!
Post a Comment